Wow! What an incredible first quarter we have had. The learning has been top notch and your children have proven to be extremely flexible and tenacious in making a dual academic program – remote/virtual and in person – work! We have seen students in both environments make great strides in their learning and develop great relationships with their teachers, no matter where the instruction occurs.
We are already preparing for second semester, which begins January 6. As explained at the beginning of the school year, we will again offer learning in two formats – virtual and in person.
As a reminder, the following explanations may be helpful as you decide which learning format to choose for your child to continue the school year:
- In-Person learning occurs when students choose to attend their zoned school each weekday and are assigned classroom and subject area teachers with face to face instruction. This decision must be made for the entirety of each semester.
- Virtual learning is the selection of a semester of learning at home primarily using online resources and taught by a certified FSSD teacher assigned to a group of virtual learners. The FSSD Virtual Learning Program is a fully accredited alternative to in-person attendance for kindergarten through eighth-grade students. Courses will mirror the content/courses being taught at the school sites.
Families of virtual learning students are not automatically re-enrolled in that program for the second semester. If you wish to choose Virtual Learning for this second semester, you must complete the online enrollment form by going to Skyward Family Access and submitting your intent by November 16.
As a reminder, virtual teacher placements are never guaranteed from first semester to second semester; however, every effort will be made for current virtual students to remain with their first semester teachers. As numbers shift, teacher placements may also need to shift in order to meet state-mandated class size requirements in the virtual environment.
If you are choosing the In-Person Learning option, you do not need to do anything at this time.
If you are choosing the Virtual Learning option, please enroll through Skyward:
- Log in to Skyward Family Access and select the online form and parent agreement for your student.
- Upon logging in, you will see a red icon in the top right of the page that states “An online form is now available to fill out.”
- Click the “Fill Out Online Form” for your child.
- If you are unable to access your Skyward Family Access account, select the “Forgot Password” link on the sign-in page or contact your child’s school office.
For those families who are sending your children to school each day, we want to thank you for your efforts in helping us to keep our schools open this year. We firmly believe that the safety protocols in place are the only reason we have been able to keep students and teachers in school. We know it is not easy to accommodate the exclusions and more rigid illness guidelines, but we very much appreciate your partnership as we follow CDC guidelines to keep all students and employees healthy and well.
For those virtual families who are helping your children learn from home, we are equally appreciative of your constant efforts to make sure your children are on time and ready to learn. We know virtual learning would be an impossible feat without your strong presence and guidance from home. Your patience, flexibility, understanding and support have made all the difference this first nine weeks.
As always, we appreciate all feedback and input in your child’s learning. Our pledge to you remains to listen with open minds and a firm commitment to doing all we can to make your child’s school year engaging, exciting, and academically impactful.
David Snowden, Ph.D.
Director of Schools